What is Science Fair?
Science Fair is an opportunity for students to apply the scientific method to conduct independent research at home. The results of each student's research is presented in a school wide science fair where the student's efforts are judged to determine scientific merit. Students who have been judged to have used the scientific method properly, and who have demonstrated thoroughness in their studies and effort, are awarded prizes. Our top winners in grades 3-5 are advanced to compete in the Austin Regional Science Fair.
- LME Science Festival will be completely Virtual (on-line) this year.
- It will be conducted online as a document review process
- Students will be awarded a 1st, 2nd or 3rd Place ribbon.
- LME Science Fair closely models Austin Energy Science Fair which has gone all virtual this year as well.
- All research and work on science fair projects is done at home under parental supervision.
- We plan to host a Info Session later in December which provides more details. Some FAQ below
LME Science Fair 2021 FAQ:
- Students will need to create their virtual presentation, including a digital project board and answers to reflection questions, using the new “Elementary Division Project Board Template” provided by the Austin Energy Regional Science Festival. This takes the place of the physical project board, Project Research Form, and Code of Conduct/Media Release.
- You can find additional detail on rules, types of projects, and typical displays in the 2 following documents;
- Registration Fees have been reduced.
- All judging of the virtual presentations will take place on-line without student interviews.
- IMPORTANT: EVERY PROJECT REGISTRATION NEEDS TO INCLUDE AN UPLOADED PRESENTATION IN PDF FORMAT THAT FOLLOWS THE RULES OF THE ELEMENTARY DIVISION PROJECT BOARD TEMPLATE
- Due to time limitations, late registration will not be permitted.
PROJECTS THAT ARE NOT ALLOWED
No student in the Elementary Division will be allowed to design and conduct any science project that involves:
- projects where the student has grown mold or bacteria of any kind (no moldy food studies, etc.)
- firearms, explosives or discharge air pressure canister devices (i.e. potato guns)
- causing pain, suffering, sickness or death of an animal
- Any activity or substance that presents a danger to the student or the environment, including hazardous chemicals or radioactive materials
- fermentation or distillation of consumable alcohol
- November 11- December 2, 2020 - Science Fair Registration. No late registrations will be accepted.
- Info session 1: 2nd week of December- TBD
- Info session 2: 3rd week of December- TBD
- Project topic submission- December 23rd
- Upload project presentations for the Science Fair committee review: January 6th-10th
- January 13, 2021 - LME Science Fair
- January 28, 2021 - Austin Energy Regional Science Fest Registration Deadline
- February 2-4, 2021 - Austin Energy Regional Science Fest
Please address all Questions: Aalap Patel, Andrew Chen, Kia Faulkenberry-Lewis, Marco Pedraza, Sundar Rangarajan at email@example.com
We are so thankful to our sponsors for their generosity!